3D "painted" map for Campaign Chancellorsville

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D "painted" map for Campaign Chancellorsville

Hello there! I'm new ...let me please introduce myself.

My name is Luciano. I became an enthusiast of John Tiller's games since the time of the old Battleground games. Many years ago I provided some custom scenarios for the ACW titles of the old BG series. After some years of absence, I returned to Tiller's games attracted by the chance to make bitmap "hand painted" 3D maps allowed by the recent engine updates of the new ACW titles.

So far I've done a large 3D map of the main battlefield of Chancellorsville, for "Campaign Chancellorsville" game.
    I dropped a line to Mr. Tiller to show my current work and he suggested that I might find valuable advices in this community.
    I would like to share my work with other users to receive feedbacks, ideas and motivation for the future map-work.

Here some samples of the map.

The open ground at Hazel Grove and Fairview:

The confluence of the Rapidan and Rappahannock rivers:

A portion of the "Wilderness", with the embanckment of the "unfinished railroad":

Some fields among the woods:

The open ground around Zoan and Tabernacle churches:
    Last edited by Luba; 04-07-2017, 12:15 PM.

Very nice work!
    Rich Hamilton

Board Moderator
    JTS Operations Manager

Comment

Yes, those sure look nice.

Are your examples from the HPS/JTS games or the BG titles?

Over at the Blitz, there is a 3rd party art mod section for the ACW series in which you could advertise your mods at.

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boar...ay.php?fid=263

Comment

Thank you, Rich and Compass.
        The examples are from a map for JTS Campaign Chancellorsville.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Looking good, Luba -I like what your pike/road/trail network looks like -- from your screenshots they all look easy to tell apart.
            JTS Graphics Coordinator/Scenario Designer

Webmaster:
            http://hist-sdc.com

Comment

Thanks a lot, Kolc and S Trauth.
              For the overall look of terrain features like the road network and the streams, I took inspiration from "A Civil War Watercolor Map Series", by McElfresh Map company.

Comment

A Civil War Watercolor Map Series: I'll have to check that out too, it sounds interesting.

Webmaster:

Comment

Just an experiment. I'm making some attempts to break the rigid appearance of the hexagons.

Here a version with a softer passage between the altitude levels:

Here the previous version with hard contours:

Which is better?

Comment

I like the softer transition.
                    Rich Hamilton

Board Moderator
                    JTS Operations Manager

Comment

My favorites were always the battle maps in the American Heritage books that showed the units and various stages of the fighting.
                      Rich Hamilton

Board Moderator
                      JTS Operations Manager

Comment

There were also a few like those in the National Geographic book on the American Revolution (I got it somewhere) ... not nearly as many as the Civil War ones.

After I looked up Luciano's reference, I realised that I have the Gettysburg one (might be the campaign one). I think I might look into getting the Cold Harbor one (had a relative at the battle).

Ok- the feedback end. Since you are painting the entire map as a single image, would you need to strictly conform to hex edges? I know that you would when working with the files as they are in the current format (which basically assembles the map one hex at a time, and adds in terrain, and other features).

I'm not really sure that I like one over the other. They both have their advantages. However, consider that I have not actually tried this myself, so I don't consider myself much of an expert in the full map as an image process.

Webmaster:

Comment

Thanks a lot to all, for you advices and suggestions.

"Hand painted" 3D maps offer the chance to represent the terrain in a more free way, though a certain degree of conformation to the hexes is inevitable since everything in the game is hex-based. To work properly in-game, each feature in the map must be recognizable as related to a specific hexagon without doubt or possible misinterpretation.

Many results could be however achieved, making good the otherwise "cloned" look of the terrain features as automatically tiled by the game engine. It is also possible to depict the road network passing through the hexes with realistic directions.

There are also many possibilities in the depiction of the settlements; with adeguate references, could it be possible to represent some actual prominent buildings or urban areas of a specific place.

P.S. about the maps from "A Civil War Watercolor Map Series", I got Chancellorsville, Cold Harbor and Cedar Mountain.

Comment

If there's someone interested in testing the Chancellorsville map in-game, drop me a line!

Comment

Luba, I never did get a chance to comment on your most recent images. It is all about experimenting with looks -and for anyone else reading this - painting an entire map is an enormous commitment of energy, effort, and vision.

It did look pretty good. I appreciate your having posted them, and am sorry that I did not get a chance to post a comment earlier.

Webmaster:

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Smile :) Big Grin :D Frown :( Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x

What company publishes the games supported by these forums?

Working...
                              X